What Does the Hawthorne PTA Do?
PTA comprises more than 5 million parents and other concerned adults devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools. PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities and a strong advocate for public education.
The Hawthorne PTA is part of both the National and the Illinois PTA's. We are an all volunteer service organization that unites home, school and community on the behalf of children. The PTA at Hawthorne is made up of about forty committees in which parent members coordinate various fun family events, school assemblies, programs and activities throughout the school year. The Hawthorne PTA is open to all volunteers and welcomes all of our families to participate. There are many ways to help out.Please feel free to review the Committees listed on our website. We need all help at all levels. If you're interested in any of these positions, please contact someone on the current Board and let them know of your interest.
Thank you for supporting our PTA and we encourage you to become a member if you have not done so already.
Here are just a few examples of some of the wonderful things the Hawthorne PTA is able to do for our school!
- Provides food for the Opening Day Picnic (over 1000 hot dogs!)
- Provides dinner for the teachers and staff during Curriculum Night and Brag Night; snacks and goodies during conference week
- Purchase the books for Mrs. Tammaru's Birthday Book Program – one for every Hawthorne student
- Purchased 3 more Smart Boards for the Fifth Grade with money and credit earned at the Book Fair
- Sponsors and pays for the Bowling Party, Ice Skating Party and All School Dance each year – completely FREE events for all Hawthorne students
- Sponsors and pays for ‘Family Night’
- Finances school assemblies
- Supports many community charity programs such as One For The Books and school supply recycling and donating
- We are the 2nd highest eScrip earner in our region
- Fund any student who is financially unable to participate in Hawthorne clubs or intramurals
- Financially support the Running Club, Chess Club, W.O.W., Science and Hobby Night, Science Olympiad, Art Club, Choir, Student Council and Junior Great Books
- Provides a stipend for all first year teachers in the building to assist with setting up the classroom
- Contributes financially to SERG, Reach, Dist. 205 Foundation, PTA Council Scholarship and York After Prom Event