Hawthorne PTA Calendar
|11:05 AM||Running Club - Tuesday/Thursday @ lunchtime|
Update: SB16 School Funding Reform Act
By Carol Snyder, District 205 PTA Council Legislative Chair
SB16 continues to generate significant discussion throughout Illinois. Opposition to the bill, in its present form, is mounting because many School Districts, including District 205, will be negatively impacted. Consequently, amendments to SB16 will likely be influenced by public outcry and the movement of other prospective measures intended to address Illinois' budget crisis. Prospective measures include:
• shifting $10.2 billion in education pension costs from the state onto local school districts
• making the 5% income tax permanent
• replacing the IL flat income tax with a progressive income tax
• imposing new sales taxes on services (such as dry cleaning, hair cuts, legal services, etc.)
• introducing a "millionaire tax" - an additional 3% income tax on earnings over $1 million
Because school funding reform is only one part of a larger effort to address Illinois' budget woes, proposed amendments to SB16 may not be entirely favorable. The Illinois League of Women Voters recently warned that amendments may include a shift in pension costs, thus continuing the erosion of school district finances and further burdening property taxpayers (see the Fact Sheet link below). Despite valid concerns, it is impossible to forecast how our legislators will respond to SB16 when they reconvene for the veto session on November 19th.
The District 205 PTA Council adopted a formal stance in opposition to SB16. Please join us in raising our collective voices and demanding a beneficial outcome for ALL Illinois schoolchildren.
What Can You Do?
• Sign the SB16 Vote No Petition
• Contact Representative Patti Bellock firstname.lastname@example.org (630) 852-8633
• Contact Representative Kathleen Willis email@example.com (708) 562-6970
• Contact Representative Deb O'Keefe Conroy firstname.lastname@example.org (630) 415-3520
• Contact Speaker of the House, Michael Madigan email@example.com (773) 581-8000 or (217) 782-5350
Help Finish the Bottle Cap Mosaic!
The PTA Go Green Committee needs more plastic bottle caps to finish the three-panel mosaic that was started last spring during Earth Week. We need these colors: BLUES, GREENS, BROWNS, GRAYS, PURPLES & BLACK from milk jugs, beverage bottles - you name it! Please wash caps thoroughly in warm, soapy water. No nut butter caps please. A collection bin is in the main hallway.
The Yearbook Needs Your Pictures!
Hawthorne PTA MIssion
The mission of the Hawthorne PTA is to volunteer in the interest of the children, to encourage understanding and cooperation between parents and teachers, and to promote programs that benefit the success of children’s learning. The Hawthorne PTA supports education through active participation and advocacy.
Do you have any feedback on any of the Hawthorne PTA programs? Complete the Feeback form located in our PTA locker above or send us an email at HawthornePTA205@gmail.com.